What is breast augmentation? Who is the right candidate for the procedure? What does the procedure consist of? What are the different types of implants that are available?
What is breast augmentation and what does it consist of?
Breast augmentation is a procedure that enhances the size and shape of your breasts. Breast augmentation consists of surgical placement of silicone or saline implants, resulting in a symmetric, proportionate, and aesthetically appealing body shape.
Who is the right candidate for a breast augmentation?
Breast augmentation is a procedure that is suitable for women of all ages seeking to enhance the shape and size of their breasts. The goal of breast augmentation with implants is to achieve fuller, larger, and natural-looking appealing breasts. Breast augmentation is often desired by women with naturally small breasts or to reverse volume loss that occurs with aging or weight loss.
What are the different types of implants that are available?
There are two different types of implants that are available
- Saline Implants: These implants require smaller incisions and contain a sterile salt water solution.
- Silicone Implants: As the name suggests, these implants contain silicone gel and simulate the density and feel of normal breast tissue.
Silicone implants are more commonly used for breast augmentation. They come in various shapes and have several features that can be modified to personalize the breast augmentation based on your specific needs:
- Volume: The first and most important decision to make is the desired implant volume. This can be determined using various methods, including virtual 3D reconstruction or trial of various implant sizes in clinic.
- Implant width and height: The implant dimensions vary based on your current breast footprint and the desired aesthetic look.
- Implant projection (implant profile): Implants have varying degrees of projection. In patients who seek more projection, a higher profile implant will achieve the desired result.
- Implant cohesivity: More cohesive implants are firmer and maintain their shape, irrespective of positioning and gravity. They are often selected in cases where upper pole fullness (upper breast) is desired. Less cohesive implants are often selected in cases where a more natural tear-drop shape is desired. The shape of lower cohesivity implants is modified by gravity, resulting in increased lower pole (lower breast) fullness in the standing position.
To get more information, please refer to the before/after picture gallery courtesy of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons). We also invite you to refer to this video on Breast Augmentation surgery (Click on the “Breast” tab and then “Breast Augmentation – Silicone Implants”)
How much does a breast augmentation cost?
The cost of a breast augmentation procedure generally depends on the treatment plan that is developed for you. The implant type and the desire to perform additional surgeries (such as a mastopexy) will have an impact on the cost of the procedure.
During the consultation, Dr. Alain Azzi will perform a physical exam and will discuss your specific needs. A member from our patient care coordination department will subsequently provide you with the details of the cost of a breast augmentation in Montreal. Call us today to book a consultation. We offer in-person and virtual plastic surgery consultations.