WHAT IS A MASTOPEXY?
A Mastopexy procedure, also known as a breast lift, is a cosmetic surgical procedure that corrects the sagging of the breasts and nipples (ptosis). This procedure rejuvenates the appearance and shape of breasts.
This procedure corrects breast ptosis (sagging) and the shape of the breasts, removes excess skin, and repositions the nipple higher, to achieve a more youthful and perkier appearance.
WHO IS THE RIGHT CANDIDATE?
Sagging or ptosis of the breasts and nipples occurs with age, due to weight loss, or as a result of pregnancy and breastfeeding. Women who seek to reverse these changes are excellent candidates for a breast lift or mastopexy.
WHAT DOES A breast lift PROCEDURE CONSIST OF?
Mastopexy or breast lift results in a more youthful and rejuvenated breast appearance. There are four main objectives of a breast lift:
- Correct the position of the descended nipple: Elevating the nipple is crucial in achieving a youthful and aesthetic breast appearance.
- Elevate the breast tissue: Saggy and low breasts are corrected by elevating the breast tissue. This results in firmer and perkier breasts.
- Reshape the breast: In order to achieve the desired aesthetic appearance, the shape of the breast is modified. A rounder and fuller breast is created, reversing the effects of aging.
- Remove excess skin: Excess and loose skin are excised to complete the procedure and achieve a tight breast envelope.
There are several mastopexy techniques, depending on the severity of the presentation. All techniques involve an incision around the areola (peri-areolar incision). It is impossible to reposition the nipple without this incision.
There are 4 described patterns for a breast lift procedure:
- Crescent lift: This technique involves a crescenteric incision above the areola. This technique is historical and has been abandoned by most plastic surgeons due to modest results and distortion of the areola. Moreover, reshaping of the breast tissue is not possible using this technique.
- Periareolar lift: This technique involves an incision around the areola, without any other incisions on the breast. Patients presenting with mild sagging of the breasts and nipples (breast ptosis) may benefit from this technique. Women who require a lift of more than 1-2cm are not good candidates for a peri-areolar lift. Excessive skin resection may also lead to a boxy breast shape. It is important to have a thorough discussion with Dr. Azzi regarding the indications for this technique.
- Vertical lift (lollipop lift): This technique involves a vertical scar, in addition to the peri-areolar incision. It is often called the “lollipop lift” or “lollipop technique” due to the lollipop appearance of the final scar. The lollipop or vertical lift is more suitable for moderate sagging of the breasts and nipples (breast ptosis). This is the most commonly performed technique due to its ability to achieve superior results while addressing the four main objectives of a breast lift (see above).
- Inverted-T or Anchor scar: This technique is very similar to the lollipop technique, however, there is an additional horizontal scar under the breast (in the infra-mammary fold). This scar is placed strategically and concealed by the breast. The final scar resembles an anchor or an inverted “T”. It is more suitable for patients with severe excess skin and sagging of the breasts/nipples (breast ptosis). More skin can be excised with this technique, resulting in the desired youthful breast shape and appearance.
To get more information, please refer to the before/after picture gallery courtesy of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons).
We also invite you to refer to this video on Breast Lift surgery (Click on the “Breast” tab and then “Breast Lift”)
WHAT ARE MY OTHER OPTIONS?
A breast lift procedure or mastopexy corrects the breast shape, elevates the breast and nipple position, and removes the excess skin.
Although breasts may appear larger after a breast lift, this procedure does not increase breast volume. A breast lift can be combined with an implant to increase breast volume. Dr. Alain Azzi may also offer you a breast lift with implants. This procedure augments the volume of your breasts in addition to lifting them.
HOW MUCH DOES A BREAST LIFT COST?
The average cost of a breast lift generally depends on the treatment plan that is developed for you.
During the consultation, Dr. Alain Azzi will perform a physical exam, and will discuss your specific needs. A member from our patient care coordination department will subsequently provide you with the details of the cost of a breast lift in Montreal.
We offer both in-person and virtual plastic surgery consultations.